Sunday, February 13, 2011

Quick Hits - Oscars Part 1

I know I promised to review the movie, The Karate Kid Part II and I promise I will but I figured something out as I sat looking at my blog...it will be really boring if I go movie by movie through the Karate Kid movies without breaking it up a little bit. Without building up some idea of what I really believe the movie business should be doing. I would be a small voice in a big see of opinionated movie gurus selling you a bill of goods without trying to go outside my happy zone of movies I like. I am not a Harvard educated man who has watched Citizen Kane 50 times in my appreciation of film class. I am like you. I am a man who goes to movies and tries to enjoy himself. I see movies I want, movies I think I will like, and use the my best educated guess of what will entertain a guy like me. Sometimes I am right, sometimes I am wrong...either way I don't get paid to go and my opinions are unbiased and real. Hopefully you will enjoy them.
     So I decided on quick hits...short quick pictures of new movies that I have seen that will allow you a quick option to the movies you'll most likely be thinking of paying good money to see. It being Oscar season, I'll start there cause as my friend Teresa is apt to tell me while convincing me to see some stuffy Oscar nominated movie "It's gonna win all the awards."  Every other post, I'll do some of these quick hits (one paragraph or so summarizing my opinion of the film) just so you won't get bored too fast. 

Quick Hits- Oscars Part I




The King's Speech

Colin Firth as King George the Sixth, the stuttering king of England and King Pop to the current Queen Elizabeth. As the title would suggest, the man has a speech to give, several in fact, as he wanders reluctantly onto his path as the future King of England during the second world war. I can't say this movie moved me or made me feel as though it was a must see. It was well acted, the people in the story were well written but the journey was tedious and at times painful to watch. Perhaps that was the point, as the idea of watching a man stutter for two hours. Aside for a few scenes involving the seven words you can't say on television (and since I want this to be a family blog on blog as well) I can't say I get why this is even nominated. Maybe it was just not a movie made for me. Wouldn't be the first one. 

Prediction: Not best picture but perhaps a best actor nod for Colin Firth.

Black Swan

People will tell you that this movie is a tour de force for Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis. They are great, especially when going down on one another (there goes the family blog), or when the former takes matters into her own hands. While the sex scenes may be the reason you go into the movie (and let's face it guys it will be the reason you go in) the movie itself is an interesting portrayal of the stresses of life as a star ballerina. I can't say I've ever been to a ballet in my life (nor really wanted to) and yet I was not bored with the dancing scenes or the final sequence of the movie when the production of Swan Lake is performed both on stage and off. I enjoyed this movie because of it's story and not the sex scenes. Natalie Portman earned the Oscar with this performance, both sensuous and disturbing. I'll soon see this movie in my DVD bookcase and that is the ultimate recommendation I can give.

Prediction: Still not the BEST Picture but not one I'd be upset to win. Natalie Portman wins Best Actress.


Inception

Here is what bothers me about Inception. That it was released in July and therefore is automatically discounted because of it's summer blockbuster status. The movie, about going into someones head and planting an idea deep in their subconscious, is ingenious. The use of special effects did not make the movie but made the film richer and added to the story. The story spins (quite literally) on Leonardo DiCaprio's  character who makes a living pulling corporate secrets from people's dreams for bad corporations willing to pay him and his team. It follows him as his team attempts to insert a single thought into a man's mind by going into the man's dream within a dream within a dream. Confused? Probably why the Academy won't honor what I believe was the best picture of the year. See this...rent it...buy it...see it in theaters if available.


SPECIAL UNHAPPY AWARD: Ellen Page...cause she's awesome.

Prediction: Winner for Best Screenplay...not even a protest when it is overlooked for Best Picture.

The Fighter

Also known as The One with the Abs. I loved this movie as well. It tells the story of little known boxer (at least to this non boxing fan) Micky Ward or more importantly his brother Dickie Ecklund. It also shows a family led by a woman, played by soon to be Oscar winning Melissa Leo, who cares more about the money she can earn off of her sons fights than the sons themselves. She overlooks one son's safety and the other's drug abuse until one goes to jail and the other all but abandons her. Mark Wahlberg plays the abs in the movie, fighting his way to victories once his strong girlfriend convinces him to step away from his mother's influence. It really is the best work done by Christian Bale as the drug addicted loudmouth Dickie Ecklund who once tripped Sugar Ray Leonard. An uplifting movie that is based on a true story and features the acting debut of Conan O'Brien's sister. She looks like Conan which makes this movie slightly disturbing.

Prediction: Best Supporting for Melissa Leo and Christian Bale and a dark horse for Best Picture.


The Social Network

The story of how The Facebook became Facebook, the social networking site that let's people meet people they already know. I'll admit to walking into this movie wondering how they were going to tell the story of a guy writing code for hours and becoming a billionaire. Where is the drama in that? Well apparently there was quite a bit of drama involving The Facebook. I enjoyed Jesse Eisenberg as Facebook leader Mark Zuckerberg and his heart is what drives the movie. He is a jerk, a genius, a loser and a lonely guy all mixed into one complicated man. He may have it all but he doesn't have a connection to anyone. It is a fine example of being completely alone even when surrounded by people. 

Prediction: Best Picture and if people don't fall for the stutterer a win for Jesse Eisenberg as Best Actor.

Stay tuned for Part II which will come soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment