Sunday, February 22, 2015

My Contract with you...and other things...and by contract I mean loose rules I'll probably break so don't hold your breath...

The New Unhappy Blog of Movies




So you may or may not have been wondering...where the hell is my boy Mr. Unhappy? Is he not seeing movies or is he just ignoring us in part because of a new job which now makes watching and reviewing movies infinitely harder to do? The truth is a little of both. Oh how I have missed my conversations to my constant readers who live with baited breath for me to blog something interesting for them to consume in the awful world that is movies these days. I'm not saying that everything is crap because as Lego so elegantly pointed out, everything is awesome. Well I've been just taking a hiatus and hoping to find that passion I once had for doing this. That's the truth and as the Oscars are tonight, and I've realized that I haven't seen any of the best picture nominees and really only Foxcatcher in the category of a nominated movie that was really good. 

I wanted to see Birdman but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it and sit down for two plus hours of Michael Keaton and Edward Norton with a boner. Just not my scene. Selma seemed like one of those powerful movies that would depress the hell out of me. A great movie, I am sure but like 12 Years a Slave last year, I am still recovering from the power of that movie. I plan on seeing it and I hope to review it soon! See what I did there? I teased it. Whiplash seemed like a good movie and again I wanna see it but just never pulled the trigger. I think that is the problem with this years nominees. They are no doubt great movies but nothing makes me want to jump out of my pants and run to the theater to see it. Most seem like a depressing treatise on what life is like in America right now. There is a lot of depressing and horrible things going on. I don't need my escapism to mirror back my own problems with the world. I like a good powerful movie but last year I had Nebraska and Her that gave me a way out of my own life and let me escape and laugh for a moment or two. 

I'm just burnt out on movies that want to tell me that life is depressing and ultimately you have to make the best of it. I know that, I live it. I'm a 36 year old single man who is considering what life will be like utterly and completely alone because I have no desire or want to start over again and again with a bunch of people who don't get me, don't want me and really just don't want to be alone while they look to find something better. I'm a placeholder, never the place. I get it. Hence Mr. Unhappy and not Mr. Constantly Smiling or Mr. Content. So when I go to a dark theater and sit through the ads and trailers for new movies, mad dogging anyone who comes after the scheduled start time because how hard is it to get to a goddamn theater on time and find a seat....but I digress. As I sit in that dark theater I want to be taken away for two hours and enjoy myself, feel good and leave with an uplifting feeling that makes getting back up as life knocks you down worthwhile and not preached to about my faults as a man, a white man, and a man who is busy repressing women everywhere. Do I know that these movies are like this...no. I haven't seen them but I have an idea that they might be and it makes me run from them like the plague.

So yeah...I failed this year to write anything for you because I was alternately scared out of my wits because I had no money and no job for over half the year and a crappy yet paying job for the rest of it that wipes me right the fuck out. I've failed you constant reader (which is really a hard thing to judge because I have no idea how many there really are of you out there) and I aim to do better. So I am coming up with a plan. I may not write long laborious reviews of movies but I vow to write at least one a week. 

That's it. One review a week with the subject matter changing in a four week cycle. Week 1 (This Thursday) will deal with a new movie or movies out now. Week two I will give you a movie or group of movies that are available for immediate streaming on Netflix or Amazon or Hulu (should I actually watch a movie on Hulu which is rare). Then the week after that I will throw back the clock and talk about a movie that I liked when I was growing up and was far less cynical and mean as I am now. And the last leg of our cycle will involve a movie you should see but may have been unable to pull the trigger on...or not. Maybe a movie you all want to see but shouldn't cause it blows donkey balls and as we all know, donkey balls suck hard. So I will promise that I will do this for you. I may not want to but I will at least give a you a "See the Breakfast Club...because it is balls out the best movie about teenage life ever." As simple as that...maybe with a picture or a clip or a moment. I want to share my love of movies with you... which was my goal when I started this blog. Back when I was happy...isn't that some Alanis Morrisette like irony for you?

Until Thursday... Mr. Unhappy Sez:  The key to life is being happy in what you got. I have a job, good friends, my family and clean underwear...who can complain. 

Coming this Thursday:

New Releases: 
Fifty Shades of Grey and The Kingsman...consider yourself teased. 




No comments:

Post a Comment