Thursday, March 12, 2015

Nostalgia is like a woman's boobs...more than a handful and you risk a wrist sprain

I've been a lover of movies my whole life. Mostly thanks to my brother who made me watch movies too old and too adventurous for my taste. I was happy watching Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo. My brother on the other hand was watching Star Wars or The Breakfast Club. I still remember the scene where you see up Molly Ringwald's Skirt (or her stunt crotch's skirt) was my first introduction to human sexuality. Phoebe Cates and Fast Times At Ridgemont High was my master's course. Yet there were a lot of movies from my childhood that would inform my life. So on these weeks where I am giving you some cinematic homework, I ask that you remember the child in me and not take that in a creepy way just that I look back on some imperfect movies with fondness not because they are good movies but because they made me the lover of movies I am today. That sounded more dirty than I intended.


So for this week's throw back Thursday nostalgia moment....

Weird Science


If you grew up in the 80's or later, you should have seen all the John Hughes canon. They are required viewing for any teen looking for answers. For me I was a curious 12 year old who liked hanging out with my brother. Weird Science is perhaps the most undervalued of John Hughes catalog but in many ways the fantastical moments and scenes make it my favorite of the bunch. It is the story of 2 losers who wish very hard and with the help of their computer, build the perfect woman in the form of the unbelievable Kelly LeBrock. Garry and Wyatt (the aforementioned losers) are everymen in high school who aren't the popular kids. The watch the girls in their class with awe and realize that their place is there, watching and never hoping they can form meaningful and sexually fulfilling relationships. It is a place I felt often. So when they create Kelly LeBrock's Lisa, they have the girl of their dreams and the girl everyone wants. She is utterly and totally devoted to them. Lisa makes them see the good they have in themselves, stand up for themselves and ultimately get the girls they really want and get respect from their peers. If you've never seen Weird Science...the movie will be worth the watch. Like most John Hughes films. It totally holds up. I hear they will be remaking Weird Science....I hope they don't. It is perfect as is. 

Mr. Unhappy Sez: See this movie....if not for the nostalgia... because you don't see guys wearing bras on their heads everyday. Where did they get the bras by the way? Is that Wyatt's mom's bra on their head? This movie just keeps giving. 


Memorable Quotes:



Lisa: You okay? 
Garry: Well, my nuts are halfway up my ass, but other than that, I'm perfect!

*** 



Lisa: Have you ever wondered how sad it is, that your son's only sexual outlet is tossing off to magazines in the bathroom?
Garry: Mom, I never toss off to anything!
Lucy Wallace: [crying] You told me you were combing your hair!
Garry: But I was! I was!

 ***



Chet: [opens a pantry door, his grandparents are in there, frozen] Hi Nanny, hi Grampy.
Chet: [closes door and turns to everyone else] I'm not a moron, you know. I...
Chet: [suddenly realizes] Was that my grandparents?
Chet: [Lisa nods, Chet opens the door again] Are they dead?
Lisa: Oh, no, they're just resting.
Chet: What are they doing in here?
Lisa: I put them in there. I didn't want to Garry and Wyatt to get into trouble. Quite frankly, they weren't having a very good time at the party.
Chet: Not having a good time? Do you think they're having a good time being catatonic in a closet?

***


Chet: Like your panties!
Wyatt: It's a joke, Chet!
Chet: That's not a joke, that's a severe behavioral disorder. I mean, the next thing you know, you'll be wearing a bra on your head!

***



[Garry is chanting incoherently. Wyatt seemed very confused by his best friend's odd behaviour. They are both wearing bras on their heads]
Wyatt: Gary?... By the way, why are we wearing bras on our heads?
Garry: [hesitates] Ceremonial.


No comments:

Post a Comment