Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Things to watch on Hulu and one in theaters


Ant Man and The Wasp




Do I really have to approve this movie for you to go see it? Paul Rudd stars again as Scott Lang/Ant-Man. It is a good movie but really more of the same. Scott is funny, Hope (Evangeline Lilly) is cute and bad ass, and Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) is gruff and irritable. I kinda wished the movie went somewhere different but this movie is safe and fun. Nothing too outside the box. I enjoyed this movie and while I was told that seeing it in 3-D was worthwhile, it isn’t that dramatic.  Overall there isn’t much to hate and not much more to love. If you liked Ant-Man… you’ll like this. If you didn’t… you won’t. This is about as simple an equation I can make for a movie.
Mr. Unhappy sez:
Fun, flirty and easy to manage. This movie is the Vogue magazine hairdo of the summer.



Josie


Josie is a different type of movie. Sophie Turner plays the title character Josie, a young girl on her own living in a residential hotel and being way too flirty with the resident weirdo, Dylan McDermott’s Hank. Hank is a recluse who prefers his pet tortoises to the people in his small Texas community. He works as a security guard of sorts at the local high school being abused by the students more than keeping them in line. Josie arrives, and his world is turned upside down. We’ve all had those women who enter our lives and make us crazy with desire and the flirting games they play with us. Josie plays Hank like a fiddle. Coming on to him only to hit on Marcus, a rebellious teen who is a constant thorn in Hank’s side. Dates are made and canceled until the secret Josie is keeping is revealed. Josie isn’t a movie that will surprise you at every turn but it is a competent thriller. You root for Hank and against Marcus. In the end, Josie isn’t an innocent teen as she appears and Hank isn’t the ignorant hick he portrays to the world. Josie keeps you engaged and is worth a watch if you want to.

Mr. Unhappy sez:  Josie is no pussycat but maybe I’d like it better if she was.


It (2017)




Based on the Stephen King novel of the same name, It was a movie I was very interested in once it was announced. As much as I’d love to look back fondly at the 1990’s miniseries with Tim Curry as Pennywise the Dancing clown, I can’t. Is it always gonna have a place in my nostalgic heart? Of course but it is not a good movie. The latest It is a good movie, scary, creepy and a little bit nostalgic itself. The story involves a group of preteens who stumble across the monster stalking the children in their small town. Together the Loser’s Club team up to fight and kill IT before IT can kill more kids. For this movie, the moved the story up to the 1980’s from the 1950’s and the sequel will take place 27 years later in modern times. The kids are really the story here and Andy Muschietti gets that telling the horrors of youth through a coming of age movie. Pennywise is real and a little more menacing than Tim Curry ever was but to be fair they aren’t playing the same character. Bill Skaarsgard plays Pennywise as a monster while Tim Curry played him as a clown…quite literally. That’s probably the only mistake I can see in this movie is that Pennywise is given no real humor. The common complaint on the internet is that no child would approach this Pennywise. Curry’s Pennywise was genial and happy, relishing the knowledge that when he kills, it will be with the full trust of the child. That makes him slightly more frightening from a character standpoint. Yet even with constant creepiness, Pennywise is scary and interesting in this new iteration. I love the novel and am hopelessly nostalgic about the miniseries. This movie gets me scared the way I was when I read the book the first time when I was 12 (way too young but I always wanted to read the books my brother did) and I had to turn the cover face down before I went to sleep so the clown wouldn’t come out of the book and get me.

Mr. Unhappy sez: This is the It you would’ve hoped for in the 1990’s if you knew it could be done. This movie floats high and creepily above most movies. Hopefully Chapter 2 will float too.



Almost Friends

Another Hulu impulse watch like Josie, Almost Friends is about Freddie Highmore’s Charlie, a 20 something stuck in life. Once a rising star as a chef, Charlie has moved back in with his mother and stepdad, and works at the vintage movie theater, not going anywhere. He’s in stalker love with the local Barista, Amber, who is dating the local track star. Soon Amber begins to like him back or maybe she just isn’t happy with her boyfriend. The romantic story in the movie is slow and realistic while continually making Charlie look foolish. Amber is not a sympathetic character. She plays as though her boyfriend is inattentive and self obsessed and in many ways he is but she doesn’t ever really give him a chance to step up. Instead she leans on Charlie and leads him into believing she’s falling for him. She might be but she should probably figure that out before she turns to Charlie. There are a lot of moments in this movie but it never really takes off. The love story is complicated, the family story is predictable, and Charlie never really loses out on anything. I enjoyed it but only so far as I always root for any character played by Freddie Highmore. Even his Norman Bates was someone I rooted for and he was killing people. Freddie Highmore deserves better and while it is good to see Haley Joel Osment again, I wish he could find a better role. The talent is still there. Ultimately Almost Friends fails because it isn’t a fan of it’s own story. It never chooses a lane. I guess it could be considered more realistic but when I watch a romantic movie, I don’t want realism. My empty bed that I come home to every night wishing that she’d be there, wake sleepily and say “Where were you babe?” gives me enough of that. I want hope for love and kisses that look as though the two leads have actually kissed someone before.

Mr. Unhappy sez: Competent but not great. Smart but not brilliant. Romantic but not unrealistic enough. Worth a look if you want to see Christopher Meloni’s ass.


No comments:

Post a Comment